Equal Opportunity Cell
The main problems faced by people viewed as disabled, or 'with disabilities', or of minority status, stems from disabling environmental, economic and cultural barriers. Disability and minority are therefore equal rights issues on a par with other forms of unjustifiable discrimination and prejudices. The Equal Opportunity Cell was set up by the University of Delhi to address these and other urgent issues concerning SC, ST, OBC and persons with disabilities (PwD) on 27th June, 2006. As part of its mission statement, the EOC ensures the following:
- Affirmative action concerning SC, ST and OBC
- A barrier free access to all buildings of colleges, departments, libraries, hostels and offices of the university
- Smooth and efficient running of a Resource Centre that specializes in addressing the needs of PwDs in all categories including visual, hearing, orthopaedic, and neurological
- No discrimination on grounds of disability or minority status
- Short term courses for imparting employable skills for the disabled and for raising awareness about disability
- Reaching out to like-minded institutes and organisations dealing with similar issues. To meet the aforesaid objectives, an 'Equal Opportunity Cell' has been created at the college level. Dr. Santosh Kumar, Department of Hindi, is the coordinator of this cell.